Sunday 9 December 2012

The last of this year's markets

Last weekend I was at Middlesbrough Christmas market, which wasn't too bad. Friday was the better of the 2 days, sales wise. Saturday was very cold and very low on sales. I don't think I will do this market again.
This weekend I was booked to do 2 markets, Stockton Sparkles and my regular market, Saltburn Farmer's Market.
Stockton Sparkles was over 4 days, from Thursday through to Sunday and we all had our own little cabin, which did mean that I could put a heater on and keep slightly warmer than if I was stood out in the elements. But that was the only good thing about this market. On the Thursday I sold nothing and I was supposed to be there from 10am to 7pm, but by 5.30pm I was so fed up and having had a good look at what other stallholders were selling (cheap scarves and tat), I realised that I was at the wrong market. So I packed up that evening and didn't bother going back for the other 3 days.
On the other hand Saltburn Farmer's Market was as good as ever. I loved seeing my old customers and catching up with the other stallholders, some of whom have had previous experience of Stockton Markets and have no intention of going back to there.
Tim also came with me to Saltburn and I think enjoyed the jovial banter that goes on at Saltburn, it has such a good feel about it and the market buzzes.
So in 2013 I will be going back to Saltburn Farmer's Market, I've also sent my application forms off to attend Wonderwool in Wales, Woolfest in Cockermouth, Fibre East in Bedfordshire and The British Wool Weekend in Harrogate. Botton School hold craft fairs every 3 months, and though I don't like doing craft fairs, this one I will do, more to support the school and village than make lots of sales, but I've yet to come away with a loss from such an event.
I've also upgraded my Folksy account so that should make loading and selling my fibre and wool on line easier, so we shall see how that goes. It can't do any worse than Middlesbrough and Stockton markets.
Now I've not got any markets until March with the start of Saltburn Farmer's Market, I'm hoping to get some time on starting my veg garden, doing some knitting for me and doing some spinning. All of which is dependent on the weather.

No comments: