Wednesday 11 May 2011

The chicks are 3 weeks old...

My chicks are now 3 weeks old and as you can see from the following picture, they are fast out growing their present brooder in the utility room
The chicks are starting to look "tatty" as their proper feathers as starting to grow.
The Sussex X chick in the foreground has lost it's cute chick look and hasn't got the proper hen look either. According to my hen books you are supposed to be able to tell the sex of the Cuckoo Maran chicks now they are 3 weeks old. The pullets have very little or no comb and a large tail, whereas the cock bird has a small tail and a noticeable comb. So if that is the case, I can identify 3 pullets (female hens) and 1 cock bird. the remaining Maran chick I think is a pullet, and the jury is out on the Sussex X chick at the moment.
Talking to my smallholder friend Jayne about a bigger brooder for my chicks, she had a run that the snow had crushed the roof, so with a little bit of joinery work by Tim and I have a new run for my chicks Just needs a hinged panel to go on the top, then it is ready to go into the barn, the heat lamb turned on and then the chicks will be moved into their new home.

No comments: