Thursday, 17 February 2011

Catching up

I don't know where the last week or so has gone, it's not as if we've been particularly busy, but the days seemed to have flown by.
We moved the 2 Teeswater ewes that are due at the end of this month into the lambing barn as the weather has turned for the worse, wet and cold. They have half the barn to wonder around in and they seem a lot a happier. We will put them into separate pens later next week so we don't have missed matched lambs.
As the weather has allowed Tim has been slowly been taking down any loose corrugated sheets from the barn and I must get the planning application sorted out next week so that we can order the new barn.
I've been "busy" painting one of our spare bedrooms. When I first painted it, I did it in a light terracotta, but it always looked as if the room had been "tango'd". So now it is a lovely "Blossom White". We've also had a bit or a sort out and we will be selling the Harris Loom we have as we've not used it all the time we've been here. The next room to re-paint is the other spare room, but as the Resident Vandal arrives on Monday, so I'll have a week's break from painting.
The hedge laying Hollands are here on Saturday to help take down the old railway carriage as it will be in the way when we have the new barn put up.
The chickens are back to full time laying. I'm thinking about moving them into the smaller veg plot by my shed for them to have a good scratch about as they have done such a good job of clearing the veg plot of the winter weeds, so I'm looking on eBay for a cheap, but good summer hen house for them. I also have a chicken that seems to escape on a regular basis from the veg plot and yesterday I finally saw how she got out. She stands on the wood surround of the veg bed by the gate, jumps/flaps to get onto the gate post and then drops down to the grass on outside the gate, unfortunately she can't get back, so she has to wait until I lock the hens up at night to get back into the hen hut, none the wise for her exploits, though a couple of weeks back, because I went straight from work to a Teeswater meeting, the hen house wasn't shut up until 1.15 in the morning, she was out until I got home and had frost on her feathers, she was fine, if a little annoyed at being out for so long. Now why was that my fault!!!!
I'm seriously thinking about giving a friend's son some of my hen's egg to put in his incubator to check my hen's eggs fertility, so that I can sell fertile eggs on eBay. I also have some other plans for my hens, but they are in the planning stage at the moment.

No comments: